Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Leyton Avary: Our Wild Card!

We got to meet our precious, and perfect, baby #3 on August 6th and she was worth the 41 week wait! Another unique story, another love in our hearts, and another girl. What a life we are going to have together.

Leyton Avary
8 lbs 15 oz
1:02 AM
18.5 inches long



Leyton's story, well,  I could not have predicted that either.  Similar to Laney, I woke up in the early morning hours with bad, menstrual cramping. I knew this time it might be labor and went to get in the bath tub. I was having a dream I might be in labor (although the details are fuzzy I was at the Blake's and in the bath tub?!) However, after about an hour I was able to go back to sleep on the couch and woke up feeling alright with not many contractions. The girls were having cinnamon rolls Laney and I had made early that morning. She got up and took care of me; of course. My helper in every. possible. way.

As the morning progressed I was just feeling "off". I did not feel well but who does this far along in pregnancy right?! In fact, I called 911 because I saw a man lurking in my neighbors back yard. I might have been hypersensitive, or too in touch with my observing and spying this particular morning because the man was, and of course, the neighbors brother fixing the plumbing. I was impressed the police came as quickly as they did and let me know about the situation. But I don't usually call 911 quite so quickly.

At any rate, I noticed I was having contractions around 10 am that were somewhat consistent but didn't seem to bother me too much. However, they lingered and 11:30 am I decided to start timing contractions. Why not. And they were about five minutes apart fairly consistently. Not too painful but annoying and consistent and went on until about 1:30. I have a notes sheet with every single contraction that went something like this....1125, 1131, 1136, 1141, 1145 and so forth. And I was noticing an increase in pain and in my back and they were taking my breathe away. I called Matthew at lunch time just to be on the up and up and he thought I was crazy to wait. Matthew was ready to go to Methodist around lunchtime and around 2:00 pm I caved. I did not labor at home as much as I could, or should, have but I'd heard 3rd labors come fast. Yea, so about that......

My parents came over, they'd been in San Antonio for a week since I was due any day, and watched the girls. Here we are just "my girls" before we left for the hospital.




We checked into the hospital around 2:30 pm and the nurse checked me. I was about 85 percent effaced and 3 cm. This wasn't good in my mind because:

1. I was 100 percent with the girls
2. I had been 2-3 cm at my last few appts.

Awesome. But I wasn't going home, I was a week past my due date and my doctor, although not on call, wanted to keep me there. My induction date was set for Wednesday. And I realized at this point he would not be delivering my third baby but I've got to admit; at this point I did not care. I just wanted to get the show on the road. My patience was absolutely tested.

So, I was taken to L&D room and met with the doctor around 5:15 pm. She checked me and I was, wait for it, 4 cm. Okay, this wasn't going fast in comparison with my first labor and this was the third?! My patience was gone at this point but I wanted to try to be as natural for as long as possible. I walked the halls, I bounced on the bed, I stretched, I tried to work this baby out before I begged for the drugs. Matthew snuck me chips, honey, Dr. Pepper, and we watched an episode of Breaking Bad. I've got to admit, being at the hospital is so b.o.r.i.n.g.  But I was handling it as best as I could.

Around 7:00 pm I was checked again and around 4-5 cm and my water was broken to speed things up. This is when everything started to hurt. Like really hurt. And I braved it out for a couple or hours. But the whole water breaking thing, well it hurts without an epidural after a while.
It felt like forever but at 9:30 I caved and got the epidural realizing that I wasn't going to enjoy labor and fearing I wouldn't have the euphoric experience when meeting the baby. I'd like to tell myself I was 7-8 cm but I think I was probably 6-7cm at the most and this may still be wishful thinking. However, I got the epidural which is usually a margarita and a hot tub. No, it was a headache, nausea, and  I quit contracting for two hours! This was not a pleasant drugging at all. However, on the flip side, had I not had the epidural I would have been in tears pushing baby out. At 11:30 pm they gave me pitocin and I felt the urge to push around 11:45 pm. It was the first time I'd felt that sensation and it was pretty cool that even though I had the epi, it had worn off enough to where I could feel the body's progression. I was definitely in transition as I was starting to shake and feel nauseated again. The nurse couldn't believe it was so fast as everything else had been slowwww.

Time to meet Baby #3! The doctor came in around 12:15 am. All of this waiting on people was getting on my nerves. Everyone was on my nerves! But they kept laughing at me during labor. The joke was "now do you believe you are in labor" because all day I was like "I really don't think this is it" and " are you sure I'm in labor" etc.

And, I must admit, I knew this one was a boy! From 95 percent of everyone telling me I was carrying like a boy and the unique pregnancy that didn't have the vomiting with morning sickness, the low heartbeat in the 130's, and the Chinese birth calendar that lied to me until, ironically, August 6th! This happy day did predict a girl. I just did not realize I'd have the baby then!  It just goes to show, you never know and neither do random strangers!

The pushing phase lasted for 45 minutes. I felt everything from the baby moving down, getting stuck, and finally coming out. It was a strange sensation. Thank goodness for the epidural since baby girl was 8 lbs 15. 4 oz. And they would not round up to 9 lbs. I'm thankful for the unique labors with all of my children, I really am.

But meeting baby Leyton was actually frightening. She finally came out after pushing for 45 minutes. And casting my eyes on her for the first time,  I remember so clearly looking at her and being confused as to why she was a bluish purple in her face and upper body. Her arm wasn't moving. And I heard Matthew say "It's a girl" with surprise but also something else; I think probably fear. I looked at him and Dr. Kissler and said "is the baby ok?!" over and over again but no one would answer me. It felt like slow motion and time froze. I think they handed her to me quickly, or started to, but she wasn't crying and they had to take her over to the incubator and get her to warm up and make her cry. It's all a little fuzzy because it was terrifying to me. The image in my mind is of a beautiful child that I was afraid we had lost. Truly. And I can't imagine it. I won't really let my mind go there but it wasn't the meeting I had imagined. Longed for or had with the other two babies. But it certainly doesn't lessen the instinctive love. But how I loved her immediately, that baby that I wanted so badly to be ok. She was perfectly pink in probably 30 seconds but when you've gone through 10 months of pregnancy, labor, and hormones, it felt like a lot longer. 
The umbilical cord was wrapped around her neck and this was likely part of the issue getting her out. The doctor and nurses weren't at all concerned and she never went to the NICU. Still, we asked over and over again if she was alright until about 4:00 am. I got wheeled to our room and I finally lost it. I held her and just cried with this new life that I loved.

Sigh. I've actually been dreading typing this out because when my mind goes back to that image and feeling I had. Ugh. Just scary. But she is here and wonderfully made!

I cannot tell you all the surprises this baby had thrown my way. Not what I expected at all with the third baby, although not knowing is the best surprise in life isn't it? That we can't see what is right in front of us sometimes. Learning our children is a daily surprise.

Leyton Avary, you are my little rugged heart, our wild card, and I'm guessing you will trick and tease me your entire life. I adore you. I'd do anything for you. And I've just met you.



 
My last belly shot. 41 weeks. And I'm afraid this might be my last belly shot ever. Tear. But thank you Matthew for compromising on three and how I love you more and more with each child we have. What an amazing girl Daddy he is. That's another blog post altogether.




Getting checked in at the hospital gritting my teeth through the contractions!


Matthew ready to meet baby #3!
Walking the halls and moving around the room.
Sneaking me honey!
Putting on my socks.
 


Leyton Avary






After her nursery visit, bath time, and meeting back up again around 4 am.
Perfect baby girl. Another little beauty.






We stared at each other through out the night, melt my heart. In love with you my babiest baby girl.
 


Dr. Analeise Kissler. Yes, she was younger than me! That is how I know I am old!




Smitten. The best girl Daddy. I always looked at Matthew with Laney and Landry and the only convincing thought that I could be having a girl was M. He has always been amazing with his daughters and is in love with all of them. He was immediately smitten.


 
It's about 4:00 am on Leyton's birthday and we are getting to know each other.


Good Morning girls! Meet your baby sister......

 
The rest of the time at the hospital was, simply, unpleasant. Just inefficient and painful but pure bliss with Leyton. I always forget how much I love the newborn phase. I am terrible at being pregnant but I l.o.v.e. meeting our babies!


More to come on time at home and all of our newest additions firsts!

No comments: