Saturday, April 14, 2012

Cascarones, Pinatas, and Ranch Tours

The weekend continued......
Everyone had unique Saturday mornings.
Mine was terrible. Those cow dogs ran my usual run with me only to desert me for a Ferrell cat in a tree. It was terrible and a sad morning that ended up with a shot gun, four wheeler, and tears. I don't know if I will ever be good at "the" ranch life.
Jim Harcar lost his wallet on the streets of Fredericksburg only for it to be returned to the police station. The Harcar's were amazed that someone would turn it in. Never in Pittsburgh they said. Texas is a great place. Although, I highly doubt it would happen in Dallas, San Antonio, or Houston either. There is something to be said for small towns.
We all had lunch at Clairlene's; as we have for the past couple of years. She is such the host and does so much for everyone; an amazing lady. The macaroni by Ruby is always the favorite dish.
The kids had an egg hunt. Laney was not quite as nice as her first one this year, although she was one of the older children hunting. And we were not at church.

Brothers....

Baby Sister and Andy

Oh my Laney!!!!!

Love this picture. Both Susan and Clairlene are pointing at a yellow egg for Landry to see. Then she does and it watching her reaction showing everyone was precious!



So it begins....the cascarones fight.....I don't have many words to describe the chaos. It's the blood rushing feeling of adrenaline, fight or flight, survival of the fittest. These might all be extreme but it is not an all is fair game.

I'll note some of the pictures, there was a ton taken. I'll use the term "getting" to mean winning, cracking, catching, smashing, confettying?....

Laney getting Daddy.
 Susan getting her boys and Clairlene getting Matthew.

 Jesse about to "get" me and I also "get" him.
 Matthew tackled, picked up, threw down Landon. I'm actually not quite sure how that happened. But we all tackled him with confetti. It felt like we were playing football for real. Those boys get rough!
 Landry's stance the entire fight. She just sucked her thumb and watched in shock. This year she wasn't crying though.

Taking a break with Momma.




Matthew talking sweet to Landry. It looks like she has confetti in her hair. Hmmmm?
 Me "getting" Matthew.
 Berg sister's on the prowl. I see Sneaky Landon, I bet he is about to get us!



 Brothers "getting" each other and I must add "pegging" because that is how they do it!

Tricky Landon! Got Lesley good!


The cascarones confetti egg war gets better every year. And somehow there are always more eggs than the last. This year I was prepared in my Honey Badger shirt. I took Lesley's advice and wore work out gear. No regrets there!

This year was had a little Pittsburgh spice added to the brawl. Those Harcar boys added a twist and pegged people with those eggs! Ouch!
My favorite part was running around and I look to my left and Laney is running beside me smiling ear to ear. She all of the sudden squeals "Mom, toss me an egg" and I, reluctantly, toss her one of my two. She takes off to go catch her prey! That is my girl!

 Exhausted. Great group. Yours Truly ended up with a black eye ;).
 The Harcar's and Berg's. What a beautiful family Lesley married into. I am happy that they were able to make it to Texas, partake in the mayhem, and I feel blessed to have such wonderful and unique relationships with family.


The lull. It comes every year. At least until the pinatas. This is when everyone plays dominoes. And they love it, the Crowell side of the family can tear it up. I don't have the patience for the game but they play until the wee hours of the morning. I wish I was as competitive in this game as I am in a lot of things. It's fun to watch.










Laney dying her eggs and I know this look. I totally see myself doing a "Laura" look. I know it's terrible, my daughter is annoyed. Possibly with her sister or whomever is sitting across the table. I know the expression too well.
My exhausted little bunny dying her eggs. It's time for night night.


A few of us ran over to the ranch for a quick escape. Look at sweet Jesse entertaining Laney. Adorable. She loves the Harcar boys!

 Bunny Pinata with a pink dress for the kids!



Egg Pinata for the adults.


Jesse was the youngest and got to go first.
 We don't play nice. Everyone is laughing but he did great!



Then the pinata was pretty well cracked. So Laura, Kurt, Matthew didn't get to go. Next year I am getting several pinatas!

Sweet grandmothers.

The long goodbye as we left for the grand tour of the Crowell Ranch. Seriously, it was hysterical. We heard the girls yelling goodbye for what seemed like forever.....but I love their little sweet voices. It was pretty precious. I adore those itty voices.

The ranch tour begins....

Making up with Boomer after his morning slaughter.


Jesse feeding the cows....
 Susan and her boys.....Kurt and Jesse.
 Richard is a great tour guide and loves showing his land.

It's a beautiful part of Texas and was the best tour I've been on. We had a great time with everyone! The tour did not end here but I'm going to let someone else post those pics.
To be continued....

No comments: