Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering 9/11/2001


Ten years ago today. I'll never forget that shocking morning. You hear many different stories and some stories are untold that we will never hear. I know this; life isn't fair and it is precious. It is short and wonderfully hard. For the men, women, children that gave their lives on September 11th--they won't be forgotten and their legacies live on in the eyes of their loved ones. They were loved, they are missed, and they will be remembered by this country forever.

I say it often but the occurrences in life that happen and the pain that people suffer through; I can't imagine and pray for their hearts to be comforted.

I remember where I was when I heard of the attack. I had a Kinesiology class at Texas A&M at the 7am ish hour. On my drive home I was stopping to get gas and heard the word "terrorism" on the radio by a shaky man's voice. A plane had hit the World Trade Center. I had bought Broadway tickets there on my first visit to NYC. I recall being confused, scared, overwhelmed, and trying to get back to my duplex to turn on the TV to figure out what was going on. My roommate already had the news on. I tried to call my Mom at Madison but could not get in touch with her.

Remembering doesn't feel like ten years ago. The panic that sets in when you see clips from that day, hear about flight 93 and all of the phone calls, the last time that husbands kissed their wives; the stories are all unbearable. And there were sprinklings of miracles on this day too. People that unexplainably survived.


I find myself today, sad with heart ache and pain for the children that never knew their parents and for the ones that were left behind. I have to believe that in those moments God gave them strength and courage that can't be known until the moment you need it most. I am proud of the Firemen, Policemen, Military, and other services that sacrificed and continue to sacrifice today. The bravery that some experience I simply do not know. There is almost a jealousy in that and leading such a different life--to defend something so great and then to be one of the fortunate that live in the land of the free. I'm honored and thankful to all that make a difference in their lives choices.

I am proud to be an American more today than I was then. Perhaps it's the understanding more as I grow older and have a family of my own. The country has significantly changed but I don't think we have forgotten; I haven't.  There isn't another country in the world I'd rather have been born into as we have a patriotism that rivals none other. I know there are political sides, boundaries, parties, and different faiths, religions, and ccultures. But I must believe we all love and have something to live for and to fight for because we don't know what cards we will be dealt in this life.

To all of the heroes of that day; you are remembered.

No comments: